- MA in history, St. Bonaventure University, 1996
- BA, summa cum laude, Buffalo State College, 1986, dual majors in journalism and history and a minor in anthropology
Continuing professional education :
- Certificate : Summer Institute on College Teaching, offered by the Virginia Tidewater Consortium, June 2007, at The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg , Va. ( http://www.vtc.odu.edu/summer_institute.html )
- Certificate : Business Journalism Training from the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism at the American Press Institute ( www.businessjournalism.org ) after these workshops:
- “High-Intensity Business Coverage,” Feb. 12, 2004 , in Rochester
- “Investigative Business Journalism,” June 3, 2004 , in Rochester
- “Covering the Economy and Markets,” Sept. 30, 2004 , in Rochester
- Certificate : Journalism Educators Seminar, June 2003 at the American Press Institute in Reston , Va. ( www.americanpressinstitute.org ) Fellowship from the John Ben Snow Memorial Trust.
- Certificate : Scripps Howard New Media Fellowship, January 2002, Columbia 's Graduate School of Journalism ( www.sree.net/teaching/scrippshoward )
- Certificate : “Writing Online News for Reporters & Producers,” November 2001, Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg , Fla. ( www.poynter.org )
Buffalo State College
August 2002 to present: Assistant professor in the communication department
August 1997 to May 2002 : Adjunct faculty in the communication department
I am in my sixth year of teaching at Buffalo State . I taught (or am teaching):
- COM 100 Media Literacy : Summer '06, Intersemester '07, Spring '07
- COM 210 Intro Media Writing : Fall '02, Spring '03, Fall '03, Summer '04, Summer '05
- COM 302 Info Gathering : Spring '04, Spring '05, Spring '06, Summer '06
- COM 319 News Editing : Fall '02, Fall '03, Fall '04, Fall '05, Fall '06, Fall '07
- COM 325 Feature & Magazine Writing : Fall '03
- COM 327 Great Journalism : Spring '03, Spring '05 (taught as HUM 327 in Spring '04)
- COM 389 Internet Writing : Fall ‘02
- COM 389 Media Ethics : Fall '04 (a course that the chair of the Philosophy Department and I developed and co-taught); taught solo Spring '06
- COM 405 Bengal News Online : (taught as COM 305 in Spring '03 and Spring '04) Spring '05, Fall '05, Spring '06, Fall '06, Spring '07, Fall '07, Spring '08
- COM 410 History of Mass Communication : Spring '07, Spring '08
- COM 450 Media & Society : Spring '08
- HON 301 Values and Ethics in the Professions : Fall '06
- HUM 100 Intro to Humanities : (Fall '04, a Learning Community course I developed for the “Escape the Matrix” LC; revamped it for the “Justice for All” LC in the Fall '05; and I taught a variation that mixed in Buffalo literary history in the “Big City, Small Town” LC for Fall '05; another version in Fall '06; and another revision focusing on the media for Fall '07 )
- I have also supervised 10 independent study students in courses ranging from copy editing to advanced newswriting, photojournalism, promotion, and one student was the Web master for Bengal News Online.
Book chapter : Bullshit and Political Spin: Is the Medium the Massage? (with Kimberly A. Blessing), in “The Daily Show and Philosophy; Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News,” Chapter 11, edited by Jason Holt, Malden , Mass. : Blackwell Publishing, 2007 ( http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref=9781405163149&site=1 )
Other version : Presentation (also with Kimberly Blessing) at the Buffalo State College Philosophy and Humanities Lecture Series, Oct. 19, 2006 . Podcast: http://www.buffalostate.edu/podcasts.xml?view=event&date=10/19/2006&podid=122
Book chapter : Teaching Social Justice by Examining the Desegregation of Baseball , in “Baseball in the Classroom; Essays in Teaching the National Pastime,” Chapter 19, edited by Edward J. Rielly, Jefferson , N.C. : McFarland & Company Inc., 2006 ( http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/contents-2.php?isbn=0-7864-2779-5 )
Book chapter : New Media Technologies: Interdependency , in “Emerging Issues in Contemporary Journalism; Infotainment, Internet, Libel, Censorship, Et Cetera,” Chapter 5, edited by Bala A. Musa and Cindy J. Price, Lewiston , N.Y. : The Edwin Mellen Press, 2006 ( http://www.mellenpress.com/mellenpress.cfm?bookid=6709&pc=9 )
Book review : Linda Rosenkrantz's “Telegram! Modern History as Told Through More Than 400 Witty and Revealing Telegrams,” in Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly , 2006, Vol. 83, No. 1, pages 224-25.
Article : “But I Still Haven't Found the Learning I'm Looking for,” (constructivist pedagogy in media ethics) in Journalism & Mass Communication Educator (60/4, Winter 2006), pages 347-353.
CD : Entries on “The A to Z on Editing, 4 th Edition, Updated October 2005,” by the American Copy Editors Society ( www.copydesk.org ):
- General Ethical Information
- World History quiz
- Literature quiz
- Review of “The Associated Press Guide to Internet Research and Reporting”
- Review of “The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation”
- “Online Editing” article
Book review : Cyrus Copeland's (ed.) “Farewell, Godspeed: The Greatest Eulogies of Our Time,” in Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly ( http://www.aejmc.org/pubs/#jmcq ), 2005, Vol. 82, No. 3, pages 745-746.
Book review : Elayne Rapping's “Law and Justice as Seen on TV,” in the Journal of Mass Media Ethics ( http://www.leaonline.com/toc/jmme/20/4 ), 2005, Vol. 20, No. 4, pages 357-360.
Book chapter : “News Media Coverage of Crime and Victimization,” Chapter 37 in a manual written for the New York State Victim Assistance Academy , held June 13-17, 2005 , in Buffalo . ( http://www.nyscasa.org/svaa/index.htm )
Book review : “In Praise of Bad Taste: A Lester Bangs Primer,” in Points of Entry; Cross-Currents in Storytelling ; Vol. 3, No. 1 (2005), pages 187-190 ( www.pointsofentry.org )
Online : “Show me the money” National Newspaper Association on Dec. 6, 2004 . ( http://nna.missouri.edu/smallnews.nsf/cases1/995F3547CD7C8FAE86256F4F00783C83?OpenDocument
Earlier versions :
Online : “Breathe Life Into Hedlines and Cutlines,” April 14, 2004 ( http://poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=64052&sid=26 )
Online : “Web helps compete in community publishing,” Oct. 17, 2003 ( http://www.cyberjournalist.net/news/000769.php )
Earlier version :
Online: “Business and Budgets, telling the Larger Story” on Oct. 26, 2004 , for the National Newspaper Association ( http://tip.missouri.edu/smallnews.nsf/cases1/9CDFC28B88B164D386256EAE00831AE7?OpenDocument )
Online : “Writing for the Web,” May 28, 2003 ( http://poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=35378 )
Online : “Online Editing Tips,” May 9, 2003 ( http://www.cyberjournalist.net/news/000383.php )
Other versions :
Online : Reviews of sessions at the Nieman Conference on Narrative Journalism, hosted by the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University , November 2002.:
Online : American Copy Editors Society, 2002
Reviews of sessions at the March 2004 ACES national conference in Houston :
Article : “Bob Considine” in Vol. 241 of the Dictionary of Literary Biography: American Sportswriters and Writers on Sport, 2001
Article : “Warren Spahn” in The National Pastime (Vol. 18, 1998), the research journal of the Society for American Baseball Research
Conference/lecture presenter or leader :
- Co-moderator (with Lou Rera) of “New Media – What's Next?” panel at the New Media Weekend; An Interactive Look at 21 st Century Communication, Buffalo State College, Oct. 25-28, 2007 ( http://wbnyalumni.com/anniversary_schedule.html )
- “One Monk's Message: Establishing an Enlightened Ethic for the Media” (with Kimberly A. Blessing) Intercultural Intersections in Media Ethics Colloquium, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Oct. 14-18, 2007 .
- Poster : “The Pedagogical Toolbox: Active Learning + Critical Thinking = A Better Classroom,” at the “Faculty-Student Partnerships: Current Trends of Technology in Teaching & Learning,” May 17, 2007 , SUNY College at Geneseo ( http://tlc.geneseo.edu/Webpage/conference/Program-May2007.doc )
- “Establishing Mertonian Ethics for the Media,” at a conference of the Thomas Merton Society of Canada (“Finding Hope in a Time of Despair”), April 27-28, 2007, in Toronto, Ont., Canada ( http://www.merton.ca/HOPEconference.html )
- “The Role of the Press in the Modern Integration of Baseball, 1930s-40s,” 25 th annual convention of the American Journalism Historians Association, Oct. 13, 2006 , in Wichita , Kan. ( http://www.berry.edu/ajha )
- “Learning to use (and perhaps profit from) ‘citizen journalism' (that's right, blogs),” at the Newspapers and Community-Building Symposium XII sponsored by the Huck Boyd National Center for Community Media and the National Newspaper Association Foundation, Oct. 12, 2006, Oklahoma City , Okla. ( http://huckboyd.jmc.ksu.edu/symposium/XII/index.html ) ( http://huckboyd.jmc.ksu.edu/symposium/XII/Marren%20Speaking%20on%20Blogs.pdf )
- “Come Together: The Student Affairs/Academic Affairs Partnership in Learning Communities,” with Scott Johnson and Heather Maldonado, at the 19 th International Conference on The First-Year Experience, in Toronto , Ont. , Canada , July 25, 2006 . Link to the Power Point: ( http://www.google.com/search?q=%22joe+marren%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=50&sa=N )
- Buffalo 's literary and artistic history at The Harlem Book Fair of Buffalo, July 8, 2006 ( http://hbfb.org/welcome )
- “Online writing” at the Syracuse Post-Standard, May 24, 2006 .
- “If You Build It, You Will Be Ethical (Maybe),” at the 10 th National Conference of the American Copy Editors Society, April 20-22, 2006 , Cleveland .
- Panel moderator at the joint meeting of the American Journalism Historians Association and the History Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
1.) “Business and Culture,” New York City , March 18, 2006 ( http://nmc.loyola.edu/history2006/program.htm )
2.) “International,” New York City , March 24, 2007 ( http://nmc.loyola.edu/jhistory2007/program2007.htm )
- Co-leader for “Student Forum” session at the American Copy Editors Society's Ohio Chapter meeting/workshop on Oct. 16, 2005, at the Cleveland Plain Dealer ( http://www.ohioaces.org/sked.htm ).
- Instructor at the New York State Victim Assistance Academy from June 13-17, 2005 , Buffalo . “Dealing With the Media; Getting Your Story Out.” ( http://www.nyscasa.org/svaa/index.htm )
- Panel member on “Gatekeepers Gone Wild? Assessing the Fallout of Media Scandals,” by the Buffalo/Niagara Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America on Feb. 15, 2005 .
- Discussant for a paper/poster session at the Cultural and Critical Studies division's presentation at the annual Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication convention, Aug. 4-7, 2004, in Toronto, Ont.
- “Writing for the Web: Make it Tight and Bright,” for the Akron Area Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America's “Write to the Point” Professional Development Seminar, April 30, 2004, in Akron, Ohio.
- “Online Editing: Tips and Theories,” at the Eighth National Conference of the American Copy Editors Society in Houston , March 18-20, 2004
- Adjunct instructor at the “New Media Training Workshop,” Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, March 2003.
- “Creative Writing” at the Center for Development of Human Services, Buffalo , February 2003
- “The Negro Leagues in Buffalo and Western New York” was given at:
1. The 7 th Annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Research Conference, July 22-25, 2004 , Cleveland
2. The 1 st African-American History and Diversity Conference, February 2003, Buffalo.
Workshops & seminars attended :
- SUNY Training Center 's Spring 2007 conference on teaching and learning: “Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom,” March 2, 2007 , at the University at Buffalo .
- “The Craft of Business Writing Workshop,” hosted by the New York Press Association and the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism at the American Press Institute, March 20, 2006, in Syracuse.
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference, Aug. 10-13, 2005 , San Antonio , Texas .
- Seymour Medal Conference, Society of American Baseball Research, May 13-14, 2005 , Cleveland , Ohio .
- “Media Ethics Workshop and Teaching Media Ethics ‘Boot-camp,' ” AEJMC conference, Aug. 4-7, 2004 , Toronto , Ont.
- “Handling the Horrible: Dealing With Shocking Images,” a Poynter Institute eSeminar on May 20, 2004 ( www.newsu.org )
- Three versions of the “Better Watchdog Workshop” by the Investigative Reporters and Editors ( www.ire.org ):
American Copy Editors Society, Ohio Chapter, conference at the Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 2002.
“Internet Reporting,” July 2001, a Center for Community Journalism seminar at Ithaca College .
- April 2006 in Rochester
- April '03 in Cleveland
- November '03 in Buffalo
ACADEMIC SERVICE :
Service to the profession :
- Peer reviewer for manuscripts for the Newspaper Research Journal, 2004-present.
- External reviewer for the Journalism Department at SUNY College at Plattsburgh , April 2007
- Peer reviewer in April 2007 for manuscripts in the Community Journalism Interest Group's presentations at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication's national conference in Washington , D.C.
- National judge in 2006 for the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards in “Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper” category for entries published in 2005 ( http://spj.org/moe05.asp ?).
- Peer reviewer for manuscripts in several divisions presented at the AEJMC national conference in San Francisco , Calif. , in August 2006:
1. Community Journalism Interest Group
2. Newspaper Research division
- Peer reviewer for manuscripts in several divisions presented at the AEJMC national conference in San Antonio , Texas , in August 2005:
1. Community Journalism Interest Group
2. Media Ethics division
3. Newspaper Research division
- Peer reviewer for manuscripts in several divisions at AEJMC's national conference in Toronto , Ont., in August 2004:
1. Cultural and Critical Studies division
2. Newspaper Research division
- Judge for in-house entries in the editorial department contest at the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader newspaper in 2004.
- Judge for history papers that were presented at joint meeting of the American Journalism Historians Association and AEJMC, 2004-08
- History Division paper judge for the AEJMC Southeast Colloquium, 2004-06.
- Screening judge for the national Online News Association awards:
1.) “Breaking News, Affiliated,” 2003
2.) “Creative Use of the Medium, Large Sites” (over 500,000), 2004
3.) “ Enterprise Journalism, Large Sites,” 2004
4.) “ Enterprise Journalism, Large Sites,” 2005
5.) “ Enterprise Journalism, Large Sites,” 2006
- Judge for the online segment, over 40,000 category, of the New England Associated Press News Executives Association, 2003
Service to Buffalo State College & the School of Arts & Humanities:
Adviser to The Record (student newspaper), 2004-present
Adviser in the former Early Intervention Program and a panelist on the AIM Dismissal Appeals Hearings.
- Learning Communities Oversight Committee (3 years)
- First Year Awards Selection Committee (1 year)
- Chair of the search committee to find a new women's ice hockey coach (2006)
- Member of the search committee that hired four instructors for the Writing Program for University College (2005).
- Member of the President's Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Equity and Campus Diversity (1 year)
- Engle Scholarship judge (2 years)
- Mildred Campbell/Who's Who committee (1 year)
- A&H Student Enrichment and Retention Committee (1 year)
- A&H Faculty Welfare Committee (1 year)
- Department representative on the A&H Curriculum Committee (2 years)
- A&H rep on the Intercollegiate Athletic Board (3 years)
Service to the Communication Department:
Associate chair (2006-07 academic year)
Chair of the Curriculum Committee (2006-07 academic year)
Chair of the Retention & Advisement Committee (2005-06 academic year)
Chair of the Bylaws and Elections Committee (2004-05 academic year)
Member of the Hall of Fame Selection Committee (2002)
Departmental Librarian (two years)
Department solicitor for the SEFA/United Way campaign (three years)
Regular commentaries on WBFO Radio 88.7 ( www.wbfo.org ), the National Public Radio station in Buffalo .
August 1996 to August 2002 : Columnist and associate editor for the weekly business newspaper in Buffalo .
1995-96 : Cattaraugus County correspondent
Associated Press stringer at Buffalo Bills home games, 1995-98
Olean Times Herald
April 1992 to August 1996 : Assistant city editor and columnist for daily newspaper.
August 1995 to August 1996 : Editorial page editor.
March 1990 to April 1992 : Reporter in the Pennsylvania Bureau. My beat included politics, police, courts, a nearby federal prison, general assignment and business stories. Many stories were illustrated with my photographs.
July 1988 to March 1990 : Sports editor and columnist at daily newspaper. Many stories were illustrated with my photographs.
November 1987 to July 1988 : Part-time sports reporter at daily newspaper.
August 1987 to November 1987 : Part-time cityside copy editor.
September 1985 to August 1987 : Part-time features reporter on health, science beat.
February 1988 to July 1988 : Assistant senior writer with University at Buffalo News Bureau. I wrote news releases and stories, primarily on science and education.
November 1984 to September 1985 : Covered sports and news as an intern at the Bee Newspaper Group in suburban Buffalo .
1982-84 : Volunteer co-editor of The Child Care Review , a quarterly publication of the Association of Child Care Workers of New York State
Publications (books and manuals) :
George H.W. Bush (with Tim O'Shei), a My ReportLinks.com bo ok (imprint of Enslow Publishers, 2003); a children's biography of the president.
George W. Bush (with Tim O'Shei), Enslow, 2003.
James Monroe (with Tim O'Shei), Enslow, 2002.
Guide to Web Research & Writing , a 45-page manual for Business First and the Buffalo Law Journal, completed in 2002 (also online at www.joemarren.com )
Business First and Buffalo Law Journal Style bo ok , a 205-page manual completed in 2000 and updated and put online in 2002 (also online at www.joemarren.com ).
Buffalo's Brush With The Arts: From Huck Finn to Murphy Brown , a bo ok on Western New York 's literary and arts history (Western New York Wares, 1998).
Publications (articles) :
Book reviewer for The Muse , a monthly southwestern New York state magazine, 1996-2001.
Historical articles for The Coffin Corner , the newsletter of the Professional Football Researchers Association, 1997-98.
Book reviews and essays for e-zine george jr. ( www.georgejr.com ) 1997-98.
Op-ed pieces for The Irish Times of Buffalo , 1995-98.
Player profiles for Bisons Magazine , publication of the Triple-A baseball club, 1997.
Feature and historical pieces for Bills Insider magazine, 1994-96.
The Columns , a bimonthly newsletter of the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site, 1988.
1988: Distinguished Sports Writing Award for columns from the New York Newspaper Publishers Association
1994: Honorable Mention for columns from the New York state AP
1995: Honorable Mention for columns from the New York state AP
1996: Honorable Mention for columns from the National Society of Newspaper Columnists
2001: Eagle Award for Excellence in News from American City Business Journals. The Eagle is the highest award presented by ACBJ, a national chain of more than 40 business newspapers.
2002: A special publication that I coordinated for Business First a bo ut the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo won a third-place award for “Historical, Anniversary, or Progress Editions” from the New York Press Association.
2003: A special publication on Buffalo 's waterfront that I coordinated for Business First won a first-place award for “Historical, Anniversary, or Progress Editions” from the New York Press Association.
Partial college scholarship from the Western New York Pro Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists for graduate school in 1995
American Copy Editors Society
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
Committee of Concerned Journalists
Investigative Reporters and Editors
National Society of Newspaper Columnists
Online News Association
Society for American Baseball Research
Society of Professional Journalists